The Society Social Media Officer has released a new Social Media Policy. This new policy is part of the ongoing improvement and clarification around social media for SCA Inc. members and participants. For more information, see the announcement.
When taking office in the position of Mayor for Pennsic 49 I made a promise to everyone. That promise was that above all else, I would endeavour to run a fiscally responsible and safe Pennsic 49. It was my dear friend and mentor Viscount Sir Edward that said to me “The people that attend this event are Pennsic, take care of them.” I promised him I would. Then COVID 19 hit and the entire world was plunged into a crisis, the like of which we have not witnessed in our lifetimes.
Over the past few months, I have been in constant discussions with the Pennsic Seneschals Group (PSG), the President of the SCA Inc., Cooper’s Lake Management, and my Pennsic Senior Executive Group. In addition, I have seen the comments from many of you and listened to the comments from my Deputy Mayors and their staff.
I have kept you all updated as much as possible so that you all understand my decision-making process and so that you understand the path I am walking when I make decisions. Although change is happening and things are getting better, I must deal with the now, rather than what I think it may be like in 3 months’ time and unfortunately our vendors needs for commitment and certainty are requiring us to make commitments earlier than we originally intended.
As Mayor of Pennsic 49, I was entrusted with, the welfare and safety of the entire Pennsic Family. It is therefore with great sadness that I must inform you today that, I have decided to Postpone Pennsic 49 for another 12 months to 2022. The new dates for Pennsic 49 will be 29 July 2022 – 14 August 2022. This has been an exceedingly difficult decision to make but I trust you understand the reasoning behind it.
This postponement will be heartbreaking news to many of you and especially to the community surrounding Cooper’s Lake.
It has been arranged with Cooper’s Lake Management, that those who have preregistered for Pennsic 49 may have their registrations rolled over to 2022. If you desire a refund, please go to www.cooperslake.com and log into your pre-registration account.
Even if Pennsic 49 cannot run this July 2021, I remain optimistic that the situation will improve over the next months. I know that some of you have lost loved ones to this pandemic and my Pennsic Team and I send you our condolences and best wishes. I am looking forward to the time when I can share some time with you all at Cooper’s Lake and Pennsic War.
Yours in Service,
Sir Gregory of Loch Swan
Mayor, Pennsic 49
The Board of Directors has decided that in-person events can resume June 1, 2021, with limitations (see the full Board announcement).
We have updated the East Kingdom’s in-person event guidelines.
A survey to gauge the Kingdom’s level of comfort with returning to events will be sent to branch seneschals and chatelaines. The survey can also be completed online. We encourage the populace to full out the survey so we can better guide the East Kingdom’s slow and careful return to in-person events.
In service to the East Kingdom,
Medhbh, Kingdom Seneschal
Tindal and Alberic, Consules of the East
Update to the SCA Bullying & Harassment Policy
The Board of Directors updated the bullying & harassment policy at their April 4, 2020 meeting. The updated policy will be placed in the Society Seneschal’s Handbook. It is listed is below, and is also available in the President’s summary of the meeting.
When does the Society policy against bullying & harassment need to be displayed during virtual activities?
- Gatherings of friends via Zoom? — policy not needed
- Official SCA thing happening on Zoom? — policy needed
- Super-casual hanging out in the EK Google Meet room, or in another Google Meet room set up using an SCA email? — policy needed
- Individual makes an instructional video? policy not needed in the video
- Individual shares video on general YouTube? or on their own FB page? policy not needed
- Individual shares their own instructional video in an official SCA virtual space (EK YouTube channel, Official FB, etc)?
All material posted in official SCA spaces is already covered by the policy, so individuals do NOT need to include the policy when sharing material.
- Of course, moderated spaces like the Unofficial FB page already have their own rules, clearly posted, about what’s acceptable in the group.
I. Bullying and Harassment
The SCA prohibits bullying and harassment of all individual and groups. Bullying is systematic and unwelcome behavior which involves the use of influence, threat, intimidation, or coercion to cause hurt or harm to another person or group of people. When the bullying behavior is based on a protected class (1) , that behavior is defined as harassment.
(1) race, sex, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability
Bullying and Harassment may be overt, as in the following non-inclusive list of examples:
- Verbal abuse, including using racial, homophobic, transphobic, ableist epithets, etc.
- Non-consensual physical contact, violence, or threatening gestures
- Displaying material that is offensive, degrading, or threatening to a protected class
- Consistent demeaning remarks or malicious teasing
- Stalking or predatory behavior
- Spreading rumors or innuendo with malicious intent
- Deliberate exclusion, isolation, or alienation of an individual without just cause
- Using rank, title, or office to intimidate others
Provided that the behavior does not rise to the criteria listed above, bullying and harassment is not:
- Single episodes of social rejection, dislike, tactlessness, or forgetfulness
- Mutual arguments, disagreements, or fights
- The termination, mutual or not, of a romantic relationship or friendship
- Reasonable constructive feedback or critique
The test for bullying is the reasonableness of the behavior and the impact of that behavior on the recipient. Participants engaging in bullying/harassment are subject to appropriate sanctions. If an individual believes they have been subjected to or have witnessed harassment, bullying, or retaliation, that person should contact a seneschal, the President of the SCA, or that kingdom’s Board Ombudsman.